Your doctor has referred you to us for a vasectomy (male sterilisation operation), under local anaesthetic.
Vasectomy Patient information Leaflet: VAS Patient Information Leaflet Nov 17
Before the Operation
BEFORE THE OPERATION
- Please trim or shave the hair around the scrotum (under the penis) on the morning of the operation.
- You should not eat heavily beforehand, nor drink alcohol on the day of the procedure.
- You will need to wear well-fitting and supportive underpants or swimming trunks (ie not boxers) after the procedure for several days.
- Your appointment will include an examination of the scrotum, counselling and consent, followed immediately by your operation and the postoperative advice. Your overall visit at the centre is about 45 minutes.
- Occasionally it may not be possible to perform the procedure under local anaesthetic. This may be because it is not possible for mobilise the tubes (vas deferens) to the surface of the skin or a medical concern. You might then be offered referral to a hospital to have the operation done under general anaesthetic if you wish.
- We would prefer you have someone drive you home after the procedure.